Moving is no fun, whether it be a big move, a small move, out of a three story house or out of a studio apartment – it’s no fun. The question is – how do you know if it’s going to be so not fun that you’d be better off paying a moving company to do it for you?
Moving companies can be pretty expensive, especially if you’ve got a reasonable distance to travel but even with that expense it’s sometimes better to let movers do the work for you, even when it seems like it’s going to be a small move. Here are some factors that may help you decide to just deal with having no fun and completing the move yourself or whether to outsource the work and let the movers worry about it.
Do you have anyone to help?
This is a big factor; even a small move can fill up your vehicle several times. Unless you’ve got a couple able bodies, each with a vehicle to load up – you are going to be much better off hiring a moving company. Imagine how long it will take you to move just twenty miles up the road if the only one working is you and the only vehicle you’ve got is your Ford Escort – it would cost you more in time and gas than it would cost to hire the movers.
What type of Vehicle you have
This reason is almost related to the first, but it merits mentioning. If you have a small car and you have only one friend that is able to help – who also has a small car, it could take several trips to complete the move. The more trips that you have to make, the more time it’s going to take you to move – as was stated earlier, moving is no fun, don’t prolong it unnecessarily by making a thousand trips to complete it. If you don’t have access to a truck, or aren’t comfortable with operating a rented truck – hiring a moving company to complete the job in one trip is a very smart move.
What you have to move
Even a small move can have a few big and heavy things. Take a good long look at exactly what has to go with you – a marble coffee table, a six piece sectional couch, a sixty inch TV and the entertainment center that is holding that sixty inch TV are not things that you want to be moving when you’ve only got your sister as a helping hand. If you’re small move has a number of heavy things, it could certainly pay to hire movers to do the job for you.
This may come as a surprise to some, but if you’ve got a lot of breakables that are valuable than hiring a moving company might be a good idea as well. Most moving companies have insurance coverage available, if you can prove the worth of an item that is damaged by movers, you’ll likely be able to get reimbursed for the full amount. Some people like to be in charge of handling their own breakable items, but if you drop and smash that antique vase – then you will be the one paying for the replacement.
Ultimately, the decision to hire a moving company is entirely up to you – most moves, especially the smaller ones can be handled without hiring any outside help. Before you make your final decision though, consider the variables above as well as the fact that the move will very likely be completed in a fraction of the time, and with zero labor, when you hire a moving company.
Finding long distance movers does not have to be a daunting task. However, it is important you don’t want to pick just anyone. This is because you don’t want to risk your possessions becoming damaged. If your possessions do become damaged, you want to know that you’re dealing with a long distance mover that will take care of things for you. You shouldn’t be left in the dark with a job that is not done well and belongings that are damaged.
Finding the Best Movers
There are some initial steps that you must take to find the perfect full-service long distance mover. Those steps include:
- Look around in your local area or look on the Internet to see what long distance movers service your area.
- Once you find the full-service long distance movers that service your area, it is time to look on the Internet for reviews on the services that they provide. Reviews are fantastic at helping people make informed decisions regarding the services that they need.
- Once you narrow it down based on Internet reviews, it is time to make the phone call. This means that you’re going to ask them questions such as what sort of insurance they have. You need to know what it is they cover and what they don’t cover so that you know you’re protected.
- Make sure you take a look at the state you are moving to, if it is a different state. The laws differ from state-to-state, which means things could change during the move. The mover should go over this with you when you are telling them where it is you are moving to.
- Get a written estimate for services from the moving company. Don’t trust a verbal estimate. You need to have on paper what your moving service includes and what it doesn’t include. From there you can compare with other companies you have received written estimates from.
- Don’t forget to compare costs. The idea is to find an affordable full-service long distance moving service. You don’t want a service that is going to charge you an arm and a leg for something that someone cheaper can do just as well.
Doing this takes a lot of the stress out of moving. You shouldn’t have to bite your nails down to the quick out of nervousness because you’re afraid valuables are going to get damaged. You should be able to have confidence in your full service long distance movers. You should be able to acquire a track record from them that shows they are very good at what they do.
Other Things to Consider
When choosing your full-service long distance movers, make sure you get a list of what they do and do not move. This can vary from company to company because of the trucks that they have. This could be something that determines who you choose to be your mover. Remember that your possessions are traveling a long way, so you have to ensure that everything is in good hands.
If you’re ever in doubt about any details of your contract, the ideal full-service long distance movers should have their contract details on their website. This is so you can refer back if you need to. Never let yourself be in doubt over anything. All doubt does is cause you to worry. These tips are in place to try to remove some of that worry. You have enough on your mind when it comes to moving to a new home, so you don’t need more than what you can handle.